Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Transmission/Clutch Slipping (OBD2 Plots)
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #15
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94835
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door SEL Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 4 pozi240 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox-y-GenIII View Post
So your post confuses me. When cruising at let's say 55mph and 2,000 rpm And you start going up even the slightest incline or hill your rpms will go up. You are saying because of clutch slippage, but isn't it technically going to have to raise the rpms to stay at 55 mph because the car will need more torque to overcome the incline at the same speed?

its like walking up hill. You need more effort (rpm per say) to keep climbing the hill at the same speed.

I'm just confused as to why this is clutch slippage.

Its basic physics, but Raptor1956 is correct. You will notice as you climb a slight hill at highway speed and do not change your throttle input (no cruise turned on), that your speed will slowly drop, but, you'll notice your rpms will drop at the same rate.... it has to. In order to keep the same speed going uphill and the same rpms is to input more throttle (give it more fuel). If your rpms start to climb (without downshifting), but your speed isn't climbing at the same rate, well, you guessed it, your clutch is slipping.
Years ago, I used to do a very simple test in my manual transmission cars to test the "health" of the clutch. Find a steep grade on a quiet back road, and from a stand still, put the car in third gear and start accelerating.... the clutch shouldn't slip at all (if healthy), the speed and rpms would climb VERY slowly....., if the rpms went up without a significant change in speed, well, you know what was slipping.. LOL.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (street)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (track only)