Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - anyone NOT like the stock tires?
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #106
Fresh1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102640
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Fresh1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh1 View Post
On bumpy surfaces, I find the (16") ContiProContact to be very rough - while on smooth surfaces they feel soft and a bit squishy. It's as if the extra sidewall and greater air volume in the tire (215-55-16 size) make it super bouncy (i.e. a perfect storm of sorts combined with the steel-wheel weight), so that that the suspension damping cannot absorb the kinetic energy that the bumps impart into the tire, because the tires pass it all to the vehicle (instead of the tire rubber absorbing much of it).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr72 View Post
Have you driven the vehicle with other tire types/sizes?
Not yet (only 2K miles so far) ... but next week I'm getting winter tires (Nokian Hakkapeliitta R) which I will keep on the stock 16" rims for subsequent winters ... and in the spring I'll get 17" alloy wheels with more performance-ey tires (235-45-17 size).

I know it's early for winter tires, but these Nokian tires (which sounded Japanese to me, but they're from Finland) are apparently so smooth and quiet and have extremely low rolling resistance ... I just *had* to get them on a.s.a.p. so I could see how the car feels with something other than the OE ContiProContact ... I will post feedback after the new tires are run in enough -- stay tuned! : )