Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - anyone NOT like the stock tires?
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #104
pablo94sc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104464
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue SE Sport 5dr (5spd)

FF Reputation: 1 pablo94sc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh1 View Post
With your SE Sport, I'm guessing you have the 17" wheels on yours? If so, do you find that big bumps feel harsh and unsettle the car if going at any speed over 30 mph? When I first got mine (with 16" wheels), I thought there was a problem with the struts - i.e., not enough damping which would result in wheel hop - and I considered aftermarket/performance struts to fix it. Then I decided to wait until I changed the tires.

Has anyone upgraded the struts? And if so, how did they affect ride and hadling? ...
Nope. I wanted and got the 16" wheels. Going over decent bumps and pot holes at speed the car had a little bounce, but nothing that other cars wouldn't suffer. The car feels fairly planted at all times except the rain and around corners at speed, but that's because the factory tires are crap. New tires will likely alleviate most of your concerns. Do the tires first, and if the issue persists consult the dealer.

Of course, it's impossible to diagnose suspension issues over the internet. I'd have to drive the car over the same road and at the same speeds as you to know what you're experiencing.