PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostedG View Post
I'd like nothing better than it to be something simple. But I just don't see how my transmission's behavior could be caused leaking transmission seals contaminating the clutch. If that were the case, I would expect this behavior to occur through a wide range of speed, RPMs, and my foot pressure on the accelerator. In my experience, that is not the case. The behavior has only occurred when road and traffic conditions have forced me to have a feather-light touch on the accelerator at very low speeds (under 10MPH).
I think the seals leak on the clutch and initially only effect the 1st to 2nd gears because that's when you notice it first (lots of torque = more slipping)? It eventually starts slipping in gears 4 and 6 (at least in my car) which just ruins the driving experience, imho.

What I'm assuming it does effect is the adaptive programming and probably whatever "micro-slipping" is (lol, more like macro-slipping). My car is over-reving into second and engages super-slowly. People are honking at me at lights because I'm accelerating too slowly - not to mention the car dives (essentially brakes) into second gear and as a result, I've been taking over and shifting myself at ~3-4k RPM.

My car still makes weird noises and it seems the car is trying to avoid doing that by shifting at 3k+ RPM while in Drive which reduces the slippage at the cost of fuel mileage. But if I'm in gears 2, 4, or 6 and at 1.5-2k RPM I can hear an audible click-click-click-click (granted, it sounds different in gear 6 than in 2 or 4) from my car until I hit 2k RPM. I don't think I should have to monitor which gears I'm in and/or drive in sport mode 24/7 to avoid these issues I'm having. Not that that even eliminates them, it really just makes them less noticeable.

I swear, I'll post that video tonight, weather permitting.

EDIT: [Click me to hear 1st to 2nd gear clutch slippage!]

Last edited by PratoN; 10-11-2012 at 02:06 PM.