IH84DZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101801
What I Drive: 03 CD silver SVT 5 door

FF Reputation: 5 IH84DZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
The reponse you got from some of the others here is rediculous. You should not need to "learn" how to drive a car that was marketed with an automatic transmission. People could care less about the DCT and should not have to worry about the ins and outs of this mess. They are defending a product that was not marketed correctly with above average issues on programming and clutch problems.

To answer your question, the reason the car doesn't coast as much is the DFSO (deceleration fuel shut off) engages when you let off the gas anywhere above the 30 MPH range. It's cutting all fuel to the engine and freewheeling it against the transmission to use zero gas when coasting down. It saves real fuel and I find coasting down to red lights instead of breaking really jumps the average MPG.
DFSO has been used for years. It isn't anything new and it is not the cause of the engine braking he described.

Perhaps Ford did make a bad choice to offer something that is so mickey mouse without dedicating a multi-million dollar ad campaign focused on why you may not like the vehicle they are trying to sell. Then again, perhaps not.

Apples to Oranges comparison here but have you ever seen a lambo with a DCT creep through traffic or be loaded on a trailer? If you think spending $20,000 on a car that behaves different than anything you've ever driven is hard to swallow imagine spending a quarter million.

I guess people like me just expect too much of our customers. Who am I to suggest they take initiative to investigate a product before they sign a 5 year note? Perhaps drive one for more than 5 miles? Speak with the service department regarding common issues?

I've always been shocked that some folks will walk into a dealer and spend more time working out options, colors and financing than they do what vehicle best suits their needs and expectations. From people who learn how to drive a stick in a brand new car to people who buy 1 ton dualy's for church commuters the expression "buyer beware" couldn't be more ambiguous!!!!