Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Ford Puts Engine Roar Back into Refined Focus ST Cabin
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #23
ZX4STDoug
I don't care

Fan#: 19367
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang V6 6 speed

FF Reputation: 13 ZX4STDoug Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmoose View Post
I wish manufacturers would stop doing this. They've been adding them to BMW's... they started added them to the new GTI's... and now the Focus ST. Why not just offer a better designed stock exhaust?? It's not impossible to make 4-cylinder, turbocharged (and even NA!) engines sound aggressive. And if you want to channel more of that sound into the cabin, simply remove or use thinner sound dampening materials to accentuate the car's sportiness (you also have the added bonus of less weight!).

It's absolutely ridiculous to me how they've created this sort of paradox between "quiet refinement" and "intimidating sportiness". I feel like they're trying to cater to two completely different demographics at the same time, and failing at both.

Personally if I'm going to buy the sport trim of any car, I can tell you right now it's not going to be because I want something quiet and comfortable. And you can bet that an older driver who is looking for something more quiet and refined sure as hell won't be happy when loud noises are artificially channeled into the cabin. It's just plain stupid IMO.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go out and tape some playing cards onto my bike's spokes and add some "GT-R" stickers to the frame.
MKV GTIs also have a "noise pipe" but it's purely mechanical, so to speak, no electronic gimmickry. Easy to remove and bypass - cleans up the engine bay a bit and also eliminates a potential spot for a boost leak.

I didn't like the additional sound it projected into my cabin and yanked it out.