Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #1596
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk5dr64 View Post
Dealers across America have told us the same thing, the "noise, grinding ,leap frog, etc is normal". There is supposed to be a new upgrade coming out any time now..............

My Focus does not "coast". Like when I am traveling at 45 mph and start down a hill, I let off the gas to just roll down the hill. But my car seems to be in a lower gear because it slows itself down. If the car rolled freely mpg would be better, like if the hill was a mile long and I did not use the gas.

It was at the dealership for this problem and I got the infamous "can not duplicate problem at this time".

Question is, do your cars coast, free wheel, or simply roll or do they slow themselves?
The reponse you got from some of the others here is rediculous. You should not need to "learn" how to drive a car that was marketed with an automatic transmission. People could care less about the DCT and should not have to worry about the ins and outs of this mess. They are defending a product that was not marketed correctly with above average issues on programming and clutch problems.

To answer your question, the reason the car doesn't coast as much is the DFSO (deceleration fuel shut off) engages when you let off the gas anywhere above the 30 MPH range. It's cutting all fuel to the engine and freewheeling it against the transmission to use zero gas when coasting down. It saves real fuel and I find coasting down to red lights instead of breaking really jumps the average MPG.