Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Car won't start!
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
rally864
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91931
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3

Points 30, Level 1
Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 rally864 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Car won't start!

So I just finished rebuilding my 2001 ZX3 with the Zetec. Went to fire it up and it will not start.The car will crank over but will not start. When you first turn the ignition on you can hear the fuel pump prime. I pulled the fuel rail off with the injectors still attached to see if we were getting fuel out the injectors and we are. There is 43 psi of fuel pressure. I also changed the fuel filter thinking maybe lack of fuel still no luck. There is good spark on all four cylinder as I put a new coil plugs and wires on also. We hooked it up to a code reader and it was saying that 1st o2 sensor had 0 voltage and at WOT the TPS was only reading 94% and at closed throttle it was reading 8%. I have checked the timing and all the marks are still on also. Also did a compression test with all good number across the board. When I picked up the car it had a bad piston in cyl 3 no sure what it was from. But I was able to get the car to run on 3 cyl before I tore it down. The oil pan is tapped which leads me to believe it was boosted at one point. Not sure if the ECU still has a boosted tune which could be not allowing it to start. As of now this is where I sit.

The rebuild was stock. I put stock pistons and everything back into it. The only changes are EGR delete, A/C delete, Cruise Control removed, a 65mm throttle body. Other than that it is all stock.