Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Ford Puts Engine Roar Back into Refined Focus ST Cabin
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
swansong
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83576
What I Drive: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD

Points 2,213, Level 28
Points: 2,213, Level: 28 Points: 2,213, Level: 28 Points: 2,213, Level: 28
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 12 swansong Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I don't mind it, it's just a necessary evil that comes along with the enhanced emphasis on NVH levels. Automakers have to make the cars quiet on the inside for NVH testing and for increasing the overall level of refinement, and they've gotten darn good at it lately. Pretty sure European cars have restrictions on noise level outside the car as well, which is why the exhaust itself has to be quiet. The only way for the driver to hear the engine is to remove all the sound deadening, or go with an aftermarket exhaust, or employ little tricks like this sound symposer. Gives you the best of both worlds, quiet when cruising, loud(er) when getting on it. And that's what hot hatches are anyway, the ultimate compromise of practicality and performance.

Bjoern summed it up perfectly with this statement: “Our cars are engineered to be quiet inside the cockpit, so we have to pull out a few tricks to give enthusiastic drivers the sound they crave – and that’s where our Sound Symposer comes in.”
Gone: 2002 SVT, #1654

Hers: 2010 Focus SES: 80k, Ebony, Auto, Moon and Tune