Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Think I figured out the shuddering when starting from a stop...can't believe it
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #172
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
I realize that you're upset (because I am too) but the 11-12-13 TSB is for bad seals on the transmission that leak onto the clutches. That's what is causing our shuddering and chattering. If you do have the issue (and I'm fairly certain you do), the TSB calls for replacement seals (three, in fact), dual clutch assembly kits, and a few other random nuts, bolts, and snap rings.

Basically, if you had the seal leak, you were getting new clutches anyway. But good luck on getting the TSB done! My appointment with the dealership is at 1pm tomorrow, so I'll need some luck too.
I hope you guys with these issues are fortunate enough to get approved for the repairs regarding the 11-12-13 TSB. My car had that TSB completed a few hundred miles ago and let me tell you what a WORLD of difference it makes!. (Even better with Trac OFF) Yeah there's still the occasion where DCT will have a glitch like in 90 degree right/left turns which I believe is only ever going to be resolved in yet another Flash update. Performance wise my car has never felt as strong as it does now. Prior to the repair my gas mileage was climbing to a little over 31mpg average and then when the transmission started making all that noise and I found evidence of a leak I noticed my gas mileage was dropping. It got down to 28mpg average just prior to their repairing the car. I'm nearing 32mpg now and climbing steadily.

The biggest noticeable difference is on the highway. If I floored it from 70 or above. The car had NO Power whatsoever to barely accelerate and pass anyone. The RPM's would jump up but acceleration was weak at best.

OMG Not anymore!. Certainly not an ST acceleration but pretty damn impressive now.

Anytime I floor it, the car pulls HARD to redline, no more surging. I do try to baby it though because I'm so scared that I'm going to burn up the clutch and be right back to where the issues started but with any luck the TSB repairs are going to prevent any oil getting on my clutches and they'll be more than capable of holding the power every-time all the time.

All this to say that I can NOW finally enjoy the car so much more and for those feeling like these odd quirky embarrassing shifts and sounds are just normal. They are NOT!. Don't give up on pursuing this with your dealer or find one that is willing to hear you out and confirm your clutches aren't compromised in some way. There may not be very much oil on the outside of the casing that you can see but I bet if there's a little leak on the inside that it's sprayed everywhere internally.