Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Humorous - trouble parking straight in parallel parking spots
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #13
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Between the lines parking is good also.
I think anyone who has problems it is they focus (pun) on the angle of the window sill. Since it is a straight line but is tilted way up toward the back of the car, it could make some get messed up. My theory anyway.

In my garage spot i have a tennis ball on a cord. The guy to my right has a challenging spot to park, and i give him four extra inches. So my tennis ball is offset four inches. I line it up to the rear wiper base within a half inch every time.
The other side of my spot the person has to park slightly diagonally to get past a sump pump in the floor. So the car past HIM has to be over a bit.
I park backing in. and get the line perfect so these others can also park well.

Across from my parking space is a rather old half blind guy who seems to think he has two spaces. He is always a half-foot into the next space, even though on his other side he has five extra feet of space open to him.. Crazy.
My theory on that is he cannot see on that side... He is the slowest driver I ever saw. Speed limit 30 he is going 20.. Really.
The window sill thing got me for about a month after getting the Focus. My last car, a 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 was more or less parallel to the ground with the windowsill. Parking that way I was just about perfect everytime. With the Focus it's hard to properly judge, but I do a halfway decent job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
I've noticed this issue from the beginning but put it off to learning a new car. However, seeing that others are having this same issue I looked a little closer today and I think I may have found something ... the steering wheel is NOT directly in front of the drivers seat and is in fact biased to the right a little bit. So, at low speed in a parking lot if you line up with the steering wheel the front of the car will tend to be pointed a little to the left. That is, the front of the car will be a couple degrees CCW.

Brian
I've noticed this too, and it slightly irks my minor OCD, lol.
Sonic Crew #28