Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Air in power steering line, How to flush/bleed it?
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #12
frednumber15
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83585
What I Drive: 2003 2dr ZX3

FF Reputation: 5 frednumber15 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I installed a rebuilt rack....and was following the Ford FSM method for refilling (other than using vacuum).

Didn't work.

What does work? Fill the res up to within 1/2" of the top and turn lock to lock...let it sit a while...run at full lock (but not to the point that the pump is working hard)..let it sit.

If you never have the level above the FULL mark...it will just pump foam. As soon as I filled the res...it cleared up in under a minute. You can ALWAYS remove a little fluid....my level ended up right at the full mark.

Then...lo and behold...the next morning the level was within 1/2" of the cap...so I took some out...down to the top mark. Then I started it ...turned wheel from lock to lock 2 times or so....shut it off. Level was now down to the bottom of the res. So I added some back to the full mark. Has now stayed there for 30 miles or so.

Recommendation? Fill it up to about 1/2" below the cap and keep it there till you are sure it has stabilized. If it overflows and runs out...who cares...if it stays off the serp belt? Once you've driven it for a while and all seems well...put the level at the top mark.

...and I am unanimous in that position.

Last edited by frednumber15; 10-10-2012 at 12:28 PM.