Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - High Temperature Warning
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #23
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

Points 986, Level 16
Points: 986, Level: 16 Points: 986, Level: 16 Points: 986, Level: 16
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerStriker View Post
**UPDATE**

My car has been in the shop for over a week now, and they have no idea what is wrong with it.

They say that it is definitely overheating (which I'm still not sure I believe) and that they can replicate the problem. They have replaced the thermostat and temp sensor even though they both tested good. They have pressure tested everything and have found no problems there.

They tell me that they have a call into the Ford hotline to see if help can be found. I think I will probably get better help here.

So, again, any ideas?

BTW... I F'IN HATE the Ford Fiesta I've been driving as a loaner. I can't believe people buy these things after test driving them.
If they replaced the sensors, then anything that remains should be checked out. Regardless of probability. Including the engine.

I'm glad I didn't buy a Fiesta - they look cute, but I reckon they're bought by single people or those who don't need the space... And, of course, every loaner I've been in has been hideous to drive compared to mine, though I've never had a Fiesta as a loaner... Maybe you've had better luck with loaners and can decidedly say the Fiesta isn't as good of a ride...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerBoat View Post
A bad head gasket can blow combustion pressure into the cooling system and cause intermittent overheating. This seems unlikely on a new engine and would be a worst case scenario.

Also, I not familiar enough with this engine design to know exactly what the symptoms would be on a failing head gasket. I have had the symptoms you described with a bad head gasket on V-6 engines.
Even under ideal circumstances, anything can technically happen at any time.

Quote:
So, its been a few months since I first starting having this problem, and I'm still having it.

Ford will not admit I'm having a problem even though they can see the over temp warnings in my engine log. They have had it for well over a week, and say they cannot recreate the problem.

I have now recreated it multiple times, and here are the steps needed to recreate.
- drive about five miles normally
- idol with A/C on for at least 30 minutes
- drive normally again, and it happens... every time.

Somehow, Ford cannot do this, so I made a video posted here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIig...e_gdata_player

Whats my next move? Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Nathan
Wow. If the logs are there, there is a problem. It seems unusual for (the Ford dealer) to see the log and deny a problem exists.

If not the sensor, how about the computer controlling the sensors - a failing circuit or controller could cause problems as well. I've seen stranger things happen...

At least the dealer mechanics did not erase the log. So keep everything documented on paper, just in case we don't live in an ethical society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Sounds like the reason states adopted "Lemon Laws". This seems like a serious enough issue to qualify. Check your state's laws and start documenting.
Quote:
I'm interested in fixing the problem, not getting rid of my car.
I hear ya. I love my Focus (even with the blender-noise in the DCT).

If there is a recurring issue, one could still use the Lemon Law to get an exchange for another unit of the same model instead of a refund. Our put the refund (cost of the purchase) toward another Focus. The Focus is too nice a car (IMHO) and the occasional lemon comes off the assembly lines, regardless of how good the assembly line is. Stuff happens... Sometimes it's cheaper for them to do the lemon law routine instead of replacing every conceivably bad component...