Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Windshield Molding Clip Rail
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
jdetzel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102548
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatchback

Points 166, Level 3
Points: 166, Level: 3 Points: 166, Level: 3 Points: 166, Level: 3
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 jdetzel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I would make him fix it correctly. You or your insurance company paid the have it done right?

According to the information I have the glass does not have to come out. But if the glass needs to be pulled he can call an auto glass company to take it out to replace the retainer and put the windshield back in.

If you just glue the trim back down it could be a problem if you ever need to have your windshield replaced. The front and rear glass are set in a urethane adhesive and become a structural part of the vehicle. The surface where the glass is bonded to the car has to be carefully prepared and if there is additional adhesive in the area it will need to be removed which could damage the paint and corrosion protection in that area.

The part is called a "pillar molding retainer strip". Here is the part # BM5Z5803179A and is costs about $50. Also if he deformed the molding pulling if off incorrectly then he needs to replace that as well. If not, it will not fit right and be a constant problem.

As a consolation, some trim items like that are a one time use, you can not get them off in good enough condition to be reused. If that is the case the insurance company will pay for it.

I see your molding was damaged and you have a new one. Just inspect it carefully to make sure it was not damaged being put back on incorrectly before you reuse it.

Last edited by jdetzel; 10-07-2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Correction