View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #28
tech10002
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104134
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 tech10002 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I noticed the exact same thing in my 2012 SE with sport package. There are large diameter metal wires wrapping around the perimeter of the seat. It caused me so much pain in the driver's side that I removed the seat cover, slit the foam open, and bent the wire with an adjustable wrench. It makes a HUGE difference after you bend it. I think they're not made correctly from the factory because the driver's seat left side wire was bent almost 90 degrees straight up where it poked me right in the bone on the back of my leg. The passenger side is more like 45 degrees on both sides and doesn't really bother me. The non sport seats in the base S model I test drove were a lot more comfortable than these, but bending the wire makes them tolerable.

The seat cover is pretty easy to snap off. You just need to get a common screw driver under the plastic clip and pry back until you can peel the clip off the seat pan. I just released mine on the front and side and pulled the seat cover out of the way then pulled the plastic trim on the side back and shoved a towel under it. There was enough clearance to get to the wire, then after I sliced through the foam with a razor blade as far down as I could. That way I was able to pull the foam back, bend the wire, and then pull the foam back over the wire to cover it up.

I'm seriously considering cutting and removing the wire completely. It doesn't seem to do much other than cause pain. I've taken apart seats in many other cars that didn't have any wire at all, and they always seemed to hold their shape just fine. I might pick up a spare set of seats from the junkyard and experiment with the bottom cushion.