CajunR
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97246
What I Drive: 2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100

FF Reputation: 5 CajunR Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddz3 View Post
You guys got this ALL wrong... Comparing MSRP when new to the Dealer trade in value isn't a fair comparison. They're not even the same type of pricing.

MSRP - the RETAIL price on the sticker suggested by ford..

Dealer Trade In - This is the recommended WHOLESALE price paid by a dealer to purchase a used car to add to their inventory, which they will mark up significantly to sell at USED RETAIL to the next owner. The trade in estimate is often times close to what a dealer will pay for a car at auction or what they pay for a car when buying a car from another dealer...

bottom line.. Buy it Used after it is about a year old... negotiate the hell out of it.. and pay cash..
Glad someone finally pointed that out.

And to the buying used and paying cash... This isn't always an option. I would say peeps need to weigh their options based on their own financial situations and priorities. After being burned on used cars a few times, I lean heavily towards buying new (read: not "abused, neglected, then dumped when the miles are still relatively low"). To me, the first year or two of ownership that are GENERALLY issue-free are worth a premium.

....Not that I'm willing to pay a ton more for new, mind you. I financed $16,600 for my new SE Hatch, I bought my 2008 Ducati new (with a full factory warranty) as a 2-year-old leftover for 66% of MSRP. Gotta shop! But I worry about how a vehicle was abused by someone who fully intended to get rid of it within a year of purchase... even before he/she leased it.
I do not, for one, think that the problem was that the band was down. I think that the problem may have been, that there was a Stonehenge monument on the stage that was in danger of being crushed by a dwarf.