Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Focus Titanium Wagon
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #36
bball40dtw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85847
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti and 2013 C-Max SE

FF Reputation: 1 bball40dtw Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by disciplerocks View Post
I can see them not offering us a wagon if they didn't have one at all. But they do. So the sales thing is BS in my book.

This is sig worthy. Y NO 3 DOOR?!?!?!
Sales are definetly part of the issue. There are no affordable compact wagons in the US, besides the Jetta Sportwagen, for a reason. None of them sell well. Even the Sportwagen, which is a much better car than the current Jetta, is sold only in limited quanities. Maybe we'll get a Cruze wagon...

There are two other major issues as well:

1) Capacity - Ford is only making the Focus for the NA market at Wayne. They are running three shifts, making six unique vehicles. There is no room for the added cost of producing another body style that won't have better margins than the current production mix. Ford won't be importing the Focus wagon from Europe either.

2) The Escape/C-Max/Fusion - The Focus wagon in the US is the Escape. It moves more units, is priced higher, has a larger demand, women like it better, and it makes Ford more money. The C-Max will take a piece of the crunchy granola demographic that like wagons. Also, the Fusion is a larger vehicle that would have similar prices, and better lease rates than a Focus wagon. One of the big reasons why the Fiesta doesn't sell well in the US is because the Focus isn't much more money and leases out cheaper.