Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - New Water Pump Replacement HOW-TO w/ PICS
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #24
jlampitt
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96677
What I Drive: 2001 White SE

FF Reputation: 1 jlampitt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Job Complete!!

The photos here were invaluable, thank you! However, as everyone seems like they've had different experiences, I did as well. Deciding to do everything to avoid fiddling with the motor mount, I dropped the A/C compressor AND removed the compressor mounting plate. Once I did that, this job just got a whole lot simpler.

Getting the old pump out and the new pump in took a little patience but I noticed with the new one, while looking at the pump in sorta an isometric view, no two sides of the pump (bolt-hole to bolt-hole on 4 sides) was the same. So, it's kinda like a Rubik's Cube... I successfully turned the pump until the right "edge" allowed me to insert the pump (pulley-side first as noted above), rotate it 180 degrees and viola... I was in business.

I also ended up having to go buy a new overflow tank as mine was developing cracks and was probably leaking under pressure. Those little suckers are expensive! ~$78 from the dealer - the only place in town that had one in stock. (Didn't want to wait to order one.)

Thanks again to everyone who's contributed to this thread.

--------------------------
Smack-dab in the middle of doing this and following this guide. Got the pump loose and can see how many a butt-kicking of the factory engineer is necessary. Just needed another 1/4" clearance?!

Will be loosening the A/C compressor tomorrow as I think I can get it out without dropping the motor. But, I have a capable floor jack just in case. Will report back when complete.

Last edited by jlampitt; 10-06-2012 at 06:41 PM.