Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Holset hx35 good turbo?
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
StockTalon

Fan#: 94771
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 StockTalon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed03 View Post
yes, i know DSMs love these turbos, but the zetec engine (where most of my knowledge resides) flows nowhere near as well, hence the longer spool i quoted. A duratec engine might be different.
They don't flow as well as you think they do.

But, the fact that a Holset is designed to work with colder, less dense and, slower moving exhaust gases allow them to spool much faster than a standard turbo. The best bet for the car in question is probably a DSM bolt on housing since, its a .55 a/r. Its small enough to come up fast yet, large enough to reach the flow potential of the compressor wheel.

A divided T3 would come up just as quick if not faster with the correct manifold. With a manifold that is designed properly, it not only would make more power down low and in the mid range but, come up even faster than the .55 a/r housing.

Another good thing to go with the turbo is, adjustable cam gears so, you can force the turbo to come up even sooner.

Also, remember that either motor has higher compression which, would help spool and make power easier.