Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Programming a Ford Focus Key?
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #27
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
With the current shop labor rates (at least everywhere I've seen), that's less than an hour's worth - and I've yet to see a shop that charges less than .5 hrs. for anything.

I'm sure I'll whine if I manage to lose a key B4 I get around to getting a third (Car came with two). So far I just bought a second fob so at least I'd have two of them. It's one of those things you tend to put off until it's too late, 'cause you don't need it TODAY....

My REAL whine about shop rates is the sad fact that in the last 30 plus years, MOST of the increase in rates has gone to the expenses of simply maintaining a shop facility - NOT to the people doing the work.... Mechanics used to get approx. 1/3rd of the shop rate in pay, now it's down to approx. 1/5th, with a FEW being lucky enough to pocket 1/4. And the largest cost increase is insurance, since lawsuits are the "Get Rich Quick" scheme of the era....

Proprietary hardware & software to diagnose & maintain vehicles costs the shops tens of thousands, we're lucky with the OBD laws that "generic" codes can be read with "generic" equipment - NOT the case when dealing with ANYTHING other than automobiles sold in the USA, or ones that use that standard for convenience....

Take Care, end of "rant" (grin)