Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Think I figured out the shuddering when starting from a stop...can't believe it
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #95
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94835
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door SEL Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 4 pozi240 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
If it's actually oil, that's probably bad... If it's red and slick, it's transmission fluid and you'll need to get TSB 11-12-13 applied. If it's viscous and sticky/honey colored, it's rust inhibitor applied during manufacturing and that's nothing to be alarmed about.
Our DCT's don't use "red" transmission fluid, its brown, just like a "normal" manual transmission, just a heavier weight motor oil really. They were able to inspect my bell housing (and clutches) without too much effort (they had my car back to me in a couple of hours while I wait for the new parts to come in), so, I don't think its a big job to perform the check. I can't see why I dealer wouldn't do the inspection, the TSB states to perform the check if the customer complains about "shuddering" or rough performance and has an early build date (not sure on how early the date is, since I don't have an actual copy of TSB 11-12-13). To be honest, the amount of oil on the outside of the transmission was minimal really, and I wouldn't have thought anything of it really, but, the dealer told me there was quite a bit of oil spray inside the clutch housing. (Makes sense, since the clutch is always spinning when engaged)
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (street)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (track only)