Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2012 owners Post your MPG's
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #1234
Beeten
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94225
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SE Hatch, 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 Beeten Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
The Mk3 FF get excellent mileage UNLESS you do stop-and-go driving and then the mileage drops off the table. All cars suffer in stop-and-go but the Mk3 FF really takes a dive. It's not the speed it's the staring/stopping and idling at lights that really kill the mileage.

Brian
That's pretty much what I've seen as well. There's a stretch in my commute that is a "rural" road, with an initial speed limit of 55, then dropping to 45, back up to 50, then 40. There are 6 traffic lights along this 6 mile stretch. The initial 55mph part is a slight downhill and the rest is pretty flat. Yesterday, I hit 70MPG on this stretch because I barely used the brakes. I know it sounds unbelievable, and this was based on the trip computer, but it was pretty amazing. Because I didn't stop anywhere, I couldn't take a picture of the display. Other days, when I have to stop for every light on that stretch, I get around 35MPG. On more classic city streets, with a lot more stop-and-go, I get anywhere from 22-30 MPG.

My overall MPG is about 32 with 50% hwy over a little more than 15k miles. Not in the Prius category, but pretty decent for a fun little car.

Cheers