Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - No Heat After Coolant Flush
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #12
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 8,911, Level 63
Points: 8,911, Level: 63 Points: 8,911, Level: 63 Points: 8,911, Level: 63
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 69 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Crud filled heater core sounds like your problem from the description.

CERTAINLY understand not wanting to use more different types of coolant than needed, the main objective to avoid problems is to pick one & use it consistently so you aren't mixing types in the system.

For example, when I had my own Peterbilt I used Cat E.L. red coolant in everything that got a coolant change, buying it by the case to change the truck there was plenty left for other purposes (grin).

My focus got Ford Gold because it still had the factory fill in there, I wasn't going to worry about draining it completely when I changed it, & I didn't have any leftovers on hand to use up!

So now some other vehicles have Ford Gold in them because THAT is what was on hand...

As to the other brands mentioned, I only have experience with the Honda E.L. coolant and that seems to work perfectly well up to & beyond it's recommended 5 yr. change interval. (Nice clean system & no water pump failures in cars & bikes using it)

The GM stuff is the only one I've heard about with a unique chemistry & a number of reported problems, so that's the only one I'd specifically avoid.

Luck!