gambit293
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103090
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SEL hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 gambit293 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
I m in the great camp, with an average of 35 mpg with 70% city driving.
That is city with few stoplights and no traffic congestion.
Add in a LOT of stops at lights, and plenty of congestion, and my MPGs would drop like a STONE. (30mpg)
That is FABULOUS gas mileage for 70% city driving. I have a fair number of stop lights in my daily drive (and a lot of slow/clueless drivers around me), and I'm very lucky to attain an average of 25 mpg. I've only had the car a bit over a month so far, so we'll see.

The presence of lousy drivers and lots of lights makes it very difficult. I am VERY conscious of stop light signals. I'll drift up to reds and intersections that I clearly will not get through in time. But I get stuck behind drivers who obliviously drive very slowly to intersections that we could all clear but won't because the driver won't speed up a tad. So we end up stuck at the red. Or worse, slow driver barely clears and everyone behind him gets stuck. And sitting at stop lights absolutely massacres MPG. Consequently and ironically, this makes me a more aggressive driver, which of course hurts mileage. I also fight to get past and around large cars with poor accelaration as they will inevitably mess up my timing.

Last edited by gambit293; 10-04-2012 at 09:02 AM. Reason: add