Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2001 Focus ZX3 - Replacing Fuel Pump & Driver Module
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
NickStone
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104456
What I Drive: 2001 Silver Ford Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 NickStone Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
You sound like the kinda person I'd like to have standing next to me when I do all this! So far the help I've had has all been guessing and Googling. :/

I did run across quite a few people online who've had issues with the FPDM (Error code P1235?) I had assumed mine had something similar if the tech told us to replace it in the diagnostic, but no error code was actually written on the work order. Either they were trying to make a few extra bucks, or it was just sloppy work in not writing down the code?

In the end, we ended up replacing the FPDM. The one I pulled out was dated January 2001 - same year as the car, so I got a little hopeful! But after all was said and done...no luck! I did check the fuses (I think thye were already checked by the other guy workign on it, but I had to double-check his work), I have no way of testing the relay that I know of, disconnected the battery for a while (as per Googling), hit the inertia reset button with the key off (several times), and tried to bleed the system by turning the key on multiple times for 5 seconds at a time. I never heard any noise from the tank, that I sometimes did in other cars when the car was turned and the pump kicks on. But I can't really remember if I ever heard the pump kick on in this car...

The only possible lead I have is that....when the key is turned forward, the Check Engine light is on. I know that light has never been on when the engine is running, but not sure if it lights up when the key is turned & engine not started yet. For diagnostic purposes, it doesnt seem like that light should light up even without the engine running if there's no problem.

So now I'm stuck at trying to get it on a machine. We had to borrow money to get the FPDM, so there's no way to tow it anywhere to plug it into a computer.

The ironic thing is, the garage originally only wanted $400 to fix it...we've actually spent a little more than that doing it ourselves. (The $250 Bosch fuel pump assembly was what did us in.) Now it looks like it still has to go into the shop. :/

I did read about the so-called recall (what other people are calling it) with the pump assembly. I came across a letter from Ford that said it was a flaw in the design of the strainer/filter, which on ours looked pretty dirty.

I can't help but to raise an eyebrow at the idea of the non-Ford pump being DOA. Bosch may be pretty good, but I guess every brand has it's few flukes in the bunch. Oh, I'd never go in to a store rippin someone a new one for sellin me a bad part. I've never been "that guy". I once got a bum wheel cylinder, installed by a garage, bought from their own supplier, broke the next day causing me to come very close to rear-ending a brand new Lincoln Continental. I was very nice about it and so were they! Irrelevant, but thought I'd throw that in :)

The link to the manual was also a big help! The car didn't have one when we bought it, and there've been quite a few times I needed it.

Perhaps in the interest of curiosity, I'll update this thread when the problem finally does get resolved. Don't wanna jinx myself by saying "if". I Love my Fords...I have faith :P