Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Think I figured out the shuddering when starting from a stop...can't believe it
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 02:08 AM   #68
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

Points 3,700, Level 38
Points: 3,700, Level: 38 Points: 3,700, Level: 38 Points: 3,700, Level: 38
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus YBTC View Post
Yes but is it actually the TCS itself or that the DCT clutches are misbehaving? Would slipping transmission clutches somehow play havoc with the TCS? I don't know the tie in between the two but I thought traction control generally worked related to the anti-lock brake system from wheel sensors sending wheel slippage info to a processor and braking info./force back to the slipping wheel(s). I can't see how turning the TCS off makes the trans work better but I don't doubt that it's occurring.
There could also be a torque management logic in play when the TCS is active. We know the car has torque vectoring, which is just a way of using the ABS to control torque steer. However, in most electronic throttle cars, there is a torque managment system that will reduce the throttle plate angle as well as using the ABS to keep wheelspin to a minimum. With the TCS off, these electronic nannies are reduced/defeated and the DCT logic is not competing with the TCS and torque management systems.

I honestly have never turned the TCS off in my MT car. I'm going to try that and see if some of the hesitation I fell is reduced as well. There is a TSB out for the MT's as well, guys report that it wakes up the throttle response. I'm thinking it too backs off the torque management nanny.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D