Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Need help! Zetec went ?????
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
rangerbay
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 76247
What I Drive: 2001 white zts,2001 white wagon,

FF Reputation: 2 rangerbay Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Need help! Zetec went ?????

I was passing a car today at about 6000 rpm, (automatic) and my motor got a sulfur smell and then wouldn't run worth a crap! It had been running good, but had an irregular idle. I dont think the cat is bad.
The cranckcase tube ( runs from the front of the engine as a hard tube, going into a rubber hose just below the thermostat, and runs to the back of the motor to just below the tb.) had gotten flat as a flitter at the back of the motor, so I replaced it. I removed the negative cable while replacing it. I put the cable back, idled the motor for several minutes, and it idled perfectly. I ran the car down the road 5 miles, it ran perfect, but when I hit passing gear, at 6000 rpm's it just started running like crap. Like an old plugged up carburater, and just plugged up sounding and rough. Then I smelled sulfur. It is also does not respond to throttle input immediately, but sluggish. The sulfur smell is gone, probably just a result from the long idleing. The cat does not rattle, and the exhaust has no color.
What could it be? Valve? Cat? Timing belt teeth? I replaced the plugs, not better. Help!

Bill