Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - SYNC System Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #245
diesel_travis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88087
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Sedan SE 203a

FF Reputation: 1 diesel_travis Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thumbs down sad panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by praeter View Post
Using an external USB hard drive

Just wanted to share my experience. I've had my 2012 Focus for about 1 month. Speech commands worked fine for like the first two weeks. Then, after one of my many trips with the HD back into the house to load more music, I just got the "speech control not available with this device" message. I'm using a bus-powered USB 3.0 1TB Seagate GoAgent Flex 2.5" external hard drive, formatted FAT32.

Within that last two weeks, speech commands have worked exactly one time. I decided, today, to call Sync support, and the lady told me that there is a limit of 20,000 characters for music speech commands - an absolutely ridiculous limitation, IMO. This includes the artist, track, album and genre of all tracks (all the searchable fields), combined. I somewhat verified that today by maxing out a 4GB USB stick (probably less than 500 songs) and trying it instead of the hard drive - speech commands worked almost immediately.

I still love the car, but it looks like I'm gonna be figuring out something else for music.
It's mind-boggling that a car stereo made in 2012 can't even provide some of the basic features that a basic mp3 player like Winamp could handle back in 1998. (No gap-less playback?! Songs ordered by title by default?!)

This is the last car I'll own that doesn't have a standard or double DIN so I can just put my own stereo in. My 2 year old $50 Android phone has more features. Frustrating.