Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - New ST3 Electric steering problems
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #8
Shamone
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104177
What I Drive: 2012 Blue ST3

Points 514, Level 10
Points: 514, Level: 10 Points: 514, Level: 10 Points: 514, Level: 10
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Shamone Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsp_53 View Post
The TSB that's listed above may not be the particular fix for your car, but the symptoms you've described are exactly what I experienced. The fix was applied to my car and voila ... right as rain.

The issue for mine ended up being a steering rack that had been over torqued in the factory. Once the car was warmed up and at highway speeds, the "stiction" problem would rear its ugly head. At speed, the amount of electric assist drops off (as it should for better steering feel). It's when that assist drops off that there is not enough umph to overcome the slightly too tight situation in the rack.

It may take Ford a little while to own up, but they will. Just be patient and take your new gem into the dealer.

Here's another thread ... http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...light=steering

Oh, and ...
Great description, and makes sense that the assistance drops off at speed, so if there is mechanical resistance you would notice it more. I wonder if this resistance will reduce once I get more miles on the clock?