Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2003 ZTS - horrible gas mileage - 16.3mpg - HELP
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #36
PWGuy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91777
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZTS Sedan

Points 2,131, Level 27
Points: 2,131, Level: 27 Points: 2,131, Level: 27 Points: 2,131, Level: 27
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 PWGuy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Nope, best "warm up" for mpg & vehicle longevity is still to fire it up, then drive away "normally" - while trying to avoid any "extremes" in acceleration, braking etc. until the car has a chance to warm up.

The current crop of vehicles generally drives quite well, even when "cold" - yet ALL the systems are happier once they get some exercise & warm up to normal operating temperatures. Over the years I've seen some extremes of damage done when the operator didn't understand the importance of this. It's QUITE uncommon & any damage is usually cumulative over time instead of catastrophic. There are exceptions of course, and for automobiles winter weather is the worst. In Northern climes almost anything can break from the cold, & treating machines more gently when cold is a partial defense.

Wow, I'm surprised by this to say the least. Ok so let me ask a different way - is it better for the engine internals, etc to warm-up the engine while parked in my driveway 10 minutes before a super short trip, like my wife driving to work? (Putting MPG aside)..