Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - 2003 ZTS - horrible gas mileage - 16.3mpg - HELP
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #34
PWGuy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91777
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZTS Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 PWGuy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Ok, had to recheck ALL the postings on this thread just to see what I may have missed...

When doing so I noticed a comment on idle speed problems with the air conditioner on and the note that IAC might need cleaning. how's that been working overall?
I haven't done the IAC yet since we are moving and busy - it will probably (hopefully) be cleaned in November.

Quote:
FYI, so you don't feel insulted, we see a LOT of non-problems with this type of issue due to manner of figuring mileage or type of use - so we have to start with the "stupid questions" first just to make sure we aren't chasing our tails here while trying to help...
I understand completely. And my MPG calculation was bunk, apologies. I'm working on getting an accurate reading this week and next week to report back.

Quote:
Actual history of mpg over time can be diagnostic of developing problems, in this case it really doesn't seem to be available...

With the age of the car, and the service items you've needed to replace already, I'm wondering what the total mileage is on the car and whether the timing belt has been replaced yet?
The car just rolled over 130,000 miles - I took possession of it November 2011 with 122,016 miles from my father-in-law. He took possession of it a few years back from the original owner when the vehicle had 92,000 miles.

Quote:
It MIGHT be time to "start with the basics", and check the mechanical condition of the engine with a compression check, then check the cam timing/replace the belt if that hasn't been done yet.
How do I perform a compression check? Do I rent a tool from local O'Reillys and use it? I've never used one before, so I don't have a clue...YouTube, maybe?

Regarding timing belt replacement, will be next Spring before I can get to that - just too busy right now with our move and holidays coming.

Quote:
The real underlying question here is whether the mpg has been going down over time, or whether this is a sudden change in the "norm" for this car.

The 23 to 25 highway # from before you got it is already a bit low, so there may have been some issues at that time that you still haven't found & addressed.
Apologies but it was about 23 city before this change occurred to less than 20 city. This car rarely gets on the highway. And after I installed the new Motorcraft Fuel Filter in November 2011, I put in some Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner - FYI.

Quote:
From what you mentioned in your last post, possibly the easiest first diagnostic would be to drive the car yourself for a bit as you have the Miata, keeping track of actual miles & gallons at each fill to get a good set of mpg numbers for reference.

keep in touch here, and the members will keep throwing out Ideas as you go through the research process to find any issues with the car.

The best function of the forum is to throw out possibilities you can check when you're already out of ideas yourself. It's the thing I miss most working by myself instead of in a shop with other mechanics. The only substitute available is to talk with other friends that work on their vehicles, or for the Focus ask questions here...

luck!
Yep, will do that