Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - No Heat After Coolant Flush
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
diexodos
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104141
What I Drive: 2001 Sand color Ford Focus ZTS

Points 169, Level 3
Points: 169, Level: 3 Points: 169, Level: 3 Points: 169, Level: 3
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 diexodos Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
A number of the hoses seem very soft and possibly disintegrated from the inside. I will replace all hoses and pressure test again. The cooling system lost only a few ounches of water in three days but it is not holding pressure because of leaks. One leak comes from the lower hose to the radiator reservoir. The rubber seems very soft and dissolves on the touch. Weird., It feels that it chemically reacted with oils and broke down. I am not sure of the thermostat housing condition unless it is a maintenance items that needs to be replaced.
The next plan is to replace hoses, flush heater core and retest pressure. If it does not hold the pressure, the radiator cap and thermostat housing will be replaced next. At that point I should be good.
Which commercial brand is free of silicates and compatible to Ford Gold? I can readily get Prestone, Peak and Zerex. Reason I shy away from dealer brands is because any needed repair in the cooling system will necessitate another trip to the dealer for coolant.