Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Ford Focus K&N Intake kit Released.
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #273
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

Points 1,277, Level 19
Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
- if you do the two mods that TboneZX3 has done (see here), the CAI becomes acceptable, there is almost no resonance and we can say the sound is not that of a factor if not at WOT. In fact, at 50% of throtle, the car is doing just fine.
I'm glad that worked out for you VOLDAR.

It's amazing how much different (quieter) the sound is when the MAF housing is properly suspended from the heat shield. I didn't mention this benefit when I originally did the mods, but the benefit is real. Just that little bit of contact that the housing has with the shield it has out of the box makes a world of difference.

It is a shame that K&N has done nothing to fix that issue, or at least they haven't contacted me about any design changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
- the car sometimes sounds great under light throtle (a little different in growl) but sometimes, at the same throtle, there is a different sound.

I'll try and post some videos with it on traffic. I am still undecided about it. It IS LOUD when at WOT and this is something I have to deal with it. I give it another 3-4 days of test and if I decide not to keep it, it will be on the site for sale.
The difference in sound at a given throttle position seems directly related to engine load. If you load it up at 2K - 3K rpm, it will "moan" a bit, especially when loaded with A/C on. Give it a while and your driving habits will change slightly, and you'll be able to avoid the moan. If you're anything like me, you'll become really attached to the "wail" from 3.5K RPM to redline @ WOT!
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.