Black&Tan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 9971
What I Drive: '06 Liquid Grey SES hatch

FF Reputation: 8 Black&Tan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sporadic View Post
Yes I think it would qualify as HIIT. The clear answer to whether I've lost strength is yes simply because I'm not using the equipment I was before and much lighter weight. In my younger years I was also heavy into martial arts. Not so much anymore but I might get back there someday.

I had a hard time doing squats 3 days a week plus cardio and martial arts. It was brutal on my legs, so I stopped everything but strength training for 6 months. I wanted to focus on building up my base, with the intention of adding cardio at the end of the six months and moving to an intermediate program that wasn't as demanding as starting strength.

I really miss cardio. I can tell a huge difference in my ability to hang with the younger guys in sports. When I was running 5k's I had way more endurance than most of the 20 year olds I was sparring with. I can tell I'm out of shape now.

I am going on vacation in January so need to start cutting in November. I'm actually looking forward to doing cardio again with an intermediate strength program and getting back into martial arts training. This time though I am going the hiit route rather than running 5k's again. 30 minutes on a treadmill is boring as hell. Lol. Even with Netflix on my phone.

You should definitely get back into MA. You're never too old for it, and it's like riding a bike.... the muscle memory stays with you forever.
HN #171