Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Focus on't start, but is fine 9 times out of 10
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,546, Level 98
Points: 27,546, Level: 98 Points: 27,546, Level: 98 Points: 27,546, Level: 98
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Usually when we see something like this- it's a loose battery terminal. Now you might think- oh the lights are on so the battery terminals are ok. Not always. It takes a lot of power to turn the starter, and if you have a loose connection it might not make up enough to be able to turn the starter but the lights are fine. The first thing you should do is to check these for corrosion, and if you find it- remove the terminals clean the lead posts, and the inside of the terminals, then re-install.

Now to make sure that your problem is not the PATS (passive anti-theft system) the next time the car doesn't start- look at the dash. If PATS is activated there is a yellow flashing yellow lock symbol. If you want to see that symbol follow this procedure to light up all your LEDs in the dash: Key off, press and hold odo reset button, turn key on, continue to hold odo reset button until the odometer reads [test] Now you're in test mode until you turn the key off again. Each time you press and release the odo reset button, you will scroll through one of 30 test functions. The second one makes the odometer read [leds], and all the dash lights will turn on. You'll be able to find that yellow lock symbol easily.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.