revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
The skyactiv 2.0 L gdi gas engine is less powerful than the nominally similarly sized 2.0L GDI engine in the Focus.

The skyactiv automatic is a traditional automatic with a minor twist, a more aggressive lock up clutch and a smaller torque converter than normal, which can lead to shuddering by design which is as bad or worse as anything reported about the mechanically simpler powershift dry dual clutch automated manual transmission, at least when it misbehaves.

it doesn't crash about and beat you up

WOW !!! It has a whole FIVE horsepower less than the Focus. What a dog that must make it .... however it does have THREE more lb/ft of torque than the Focus so that really makes a huge difference as well.

Regarding the transmission ... evidently it (the Mazda transmission) misbehaves' a helluva lot less often than the Focus DCT does. I drove two or three Mazdas at the time, and all of them were silky smooth without a hint of your so-called 'bad bahaviour'. My daughter currently owns a Mazda with a perfect transmission at 140K miles, and I've owned other Mazdas over the years ... they all acted just like normal cars and didn't leave you wondering when the tranny was going to fail, or why it was grinding, or shuddering, or 'missing gears', or hunting for gears, or unexpectedly going into neutral when starting out.

Also ... how is it that the antiquated, horrendous, cavemanlike slushbox transmission of the Mazda gets better mileage than the vastly more advanced and high-tech DCT transmission of the Focus ... with the exception of the SFE model ?

Personally ... I've never experienced a Mazda suspension that 'crashed about and beat you up' ... and you're the only person who I've ever heard use the terms you use in describing anything non-Ford. Even my teenage daughter knows that excessive exaggeration does nothing to further the point you're trying to make. The Mazda 3 has for years been the benchmark of the world for compact cars, and for you to dismiss it's suspension as 'crashing about', and 'beating you up' ... is simply ludicrous. My considered assessment would be that the Focus suspension is slightly better and a little more compliant .... however, that slight advantage quickly loses it's luster by the clunking, creaking, and noise issues that many examples of the Focus experience.

I'm not saying which to buy ... that's the OP's decision to make .... but if I had it to do again ... I think I'd go with the 3 ... given what I know now. Unfortunately ... Ford has grossly disappointed a lot of current buyers, and their inability to resolve these issues ... or worse yet ... their denial that they exist ... just makes it even worse.

REV