Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Performance and Practicality in mid/upper $20k?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
LamboST
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104394
What I Drive: 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD

FF Reputation: 1 LamboST Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed03 View Post
I'll agree with you on the Tangerine Scream, a little out there for me.

And I'll go so far as to say I agree with you on the FWD aspect. Before my '03 zx3, and now '03 SVTf, I drove v8 mustangs. I miss them. Badly. I love the focus, but its missing something. And this reason alone is why I'm having a hard time thinking about a new car. No RWD sports sedans offered by Ford, its either Mustang, or SHO, and the sho is too big and Mustang has more or less useless backseats. The RWD sedan platform from Australia (Falcon) would fit the bill (4.0 i6 turbo please!) but we won't ever see that here.

Thought about a used Pontiac G8? RWD, LS7, etc. May not have the MFT and other tech the ST would have, but it is RWD. While the BRZ, et al, interest me, they are on the smaller side, and from all the reviews state under powered. They will out handle a 5.0 Mustang.
Do you have a gas mileage requirement??
I looked for Pontiac G8 GXPs, which are the only ones w/ the V8 and manual transmission. They are about as common as unicorns.

I think I could sacrifice much of the tech found in new cars for the right car (say a base C6 Corvette).

I don't have a MPG requirement - my commute is 10 miles each way of city driving, but that's it. I put 100 miles on my car a week, so just over 5k a year - every other trip we are in the minivan because it holds the kids and the dog.

That said, I wouldn't mind getting 30mpg...

I'm in Virginia Beach, VA, so snow really isn't an issue. We do get plenty of rain though, so I appreciated having AWD when the roads were slick. Then again, a FWD vehicle would likely do a bit better in rain over RWD.

Not saying I can't do FWD but good to know someone else out there understands my hesitancy.