Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - I must be getting old... :-) DIY 2012 intake modification
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #90
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiStick View Post
The other 2 tubes that are attached to the airbox didn't seem to hurt the big tube from depositing large leaves and candy wrappers onto the filter before the new holes were bored. I haven't opened it up again since I modded the mod.

ie. the box was never sealed or relying only on the 3in tube for 100% airflow.
I see where you're coming from. I guess my concern would not be what is being forced ("rammed") through the newmission tube, but rather that the holes would reduce the amount of vacuum through the factory (cool air) tubes to nearly nothing. Granted, with the large newmisison tube, vacuum would likely be fairly low through the factory tubes already, but with the new holes I'm guessing it might be close to nonexistant.

Reducing the vacuum through the factory tubes and newmission tube and replacing it with air from the engine bay could raise intake temperature while at a stop.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.