Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2006 Shift Tower Roll Pin Issue
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
adios1344
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 81145
What I Drive: 2002 Mercury Cougar

FF Reputation: 1 adios1344 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covmister View Post
so im thinking i have the same problem. in gear i have about half and inch to maybe an inch of free play before a gear engages or disengages. ive read that the roll pin is more likely the issue. let me get this straight.....i need to remove the tower on top the transmission and where exactly are the roll pins?
When you remove the tower, you won't be able to miss the roll pin. There's only one holding it together, and it's a cluster of little brackets with a pole that comes down through them all (it's what the counter-weight is connected to). You will see a little H pattern with the gears on one side of the main assemlby, with a little peice of metal sticking through it. I'm assuming that those are the shifter gates. However, where that little piece of metal comes through the gates, it's connected to the tower by a role pin. I just used a punch and a hammer to get mine out.

Before tearing your shift tower out of the trans, I'd recommend checking out your linkages, make sure the bushing around where they connect to the shifter base, and the shift tower aren't wore out. Also make sure the linkages aren't bent or stretched.