suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
My first tank was like 23mpg, I've since gotten to the point where I average ~30 and I'm usually 70-80% city driving.

Sadly though even with 90% highway the highest I've ever gotten hand-calculated was just over 34mpg :(

Though, highway/freeway speeds in FL are 70mph speed limit and that certainly is at the point where mpg starts to go down.
My first tank average was 33 even after subtracting the 18 miles from delivery (3 when it came off the truck, 9 put on during the test drive and another 6 for some reason when they went to prep the car for delivery. My cumulative average is nearer to 34.9 mpg over the past 5000 miles or so.

With a peak thus far of 42.063 mpg at 65 mph for extended periods of time (well trying to make as few stops as possible, didn't quite make the trip there and back on one tank of fuel, but didn't push for no stops either. That was with three people in the car and the weight of at least four people + overnight bags.

Normal work commute is about 10 miles each way, occasionally getting stuck in traffic there and back, about half city streets and half freeway, but since the actual interstate portion is only about 3 miles it doesn't really pay to go 70 unless you're in a hurry as the mileage would suffer quite badly if you were to accelerate to 70 and then come to a complete stop at the base of the exit ramp or somewhere along it after just a couple miles.

The first few days after I got the car I was seeing all kinds of ecomode messages I've never been able to see since, such as more details on how much time percentage wise of the trips were done with a cold engine. Now it either gives me the trophy or does not, even though all five leaves of both flowers are usually full all the way, but not if I've gotten into a bit of a mood where I need to wind the car out a bit more.

I guess I'm maybe trying to glide it up into higher gears and stay there if possible in traffic, and trying to leave enough space to coast down somewhat when its time to slow down. That doesn't always work.