Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Ford Focus Reliability Issues
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 11:18 PM   #33
Wildsailor
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102694
What I Drive: 12 SE Sport Sedan - Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 3 Wildsailor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I bought a very late model 2012 (August build, one of the last of the 2012's to come off the line) SE Sport Sedan and I am very pleased with it. Nothing wrong with it at all yet and I am approaching 2,000 miles. My fuel economy is increasing with every tankful and it is saving me money to own it. There are some quirks with the way the European features work, some hiccups in the way the DCT operates, and some unusual ways to how the features are split for the packages but it isn't a $30,000-$45,000 luxury sport sedan it is a cheap transportation car.

As far as nobody raving about the DCT, well, I sure adore it. Yes it hiccups once in a while but nothing any worse than if driving a manual trans. In fact it IS a manual trans that someone else is doing the shifting. It is getting me about 2 MPG better than the 5MT would have and you can still shift it if you want. I am just glad it isn't one of those 4-speed slush boxes that shift smoother but sap the power and turn the 'gas pedal' into nothing more than a way to make the 4 cylinder make more noise. The DCT is a wonderful addition and I am proud that it is different.

Most of the issues with shifting and lugging that you see posted here were early builds in the 2012 run. Also there appears to be an oil leak that causes clutch issues so that is something to watch out for.

It is great handling, quiet, and delivers super fuel economy so it is hard to get a car with these qualities for what I paid for my SE Sport...about $18,500. I read the comments about how the $25,000 Mazda 3 is 'more reliable' but does not drive as well and is louder, well, I suppose if someone wants to spend the extra money then go ahead but leave the Focus group and go to the Mazda one.

My family and friends are all interested in a 2012+ Focus now after they see what my little car is delivering on my daily commute in fuel usage. For the money it is a tough car to beat!