Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - ST Spotting......
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #38
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottso View Post
I've been riding since 1977, 3 Hondas, 2 Harleys. It's not so different now as it was way back when. I use my peripheral vision the same today as I had to back in '78 when someone tried to run me off the road several times.

Pay attention to what's around you no matter what you drive. I have no accidents on my record at speed, but I've been hit 5 times while at a complete stop, in cars, by people not paying attention - none of them had cell phones. 4 times at stop signs and red lights, and the last time (17 years ago) while parked in a parking lot with the ignition off.
Kinda off topic from both of us but you're saying you'd rather be hit by a car while parked on a motorcycle? Anecdotal statements are great and all but motorcycle fatalities have risen dramatically in recent years. Oh and I haven't spotted any STs lately.

Quote:
From 1997Ė2009, annual motorcycle deaths doubled from 2,116 to 4,462. On average, 12 motorcyclists were killed every day. Although motorcycles represent only 3 percent of the vehicles on our nationís roads, they account for 13 percent of highway deaths. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, head injury is a leading cause of death in motorcycle crashes. This alarming trend of increased motorcycle fatalities and injuries must be reversed.
http://www.ntsb.gov/safety/mwl-10.html
Quote:
The Facts
According to the U.S. Department of Transportationís National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:

Motorcyclists are 35 times more likely experience a deadly accident on the road than those in passenger cars.
In 2006, 88,000 motorcyclists were injured in highway accidents alone.
In 2006, 4,810 motorcyclists were killed in road accidents.
11 percent of all roadway accidents that occur in the United States involve motorcycles.
Head injury is the leading cause of death in motorcycle crashes.
A motorcyclist not wearing a helmet is 40 percent more likely to die of a head injury than one who wears a helmet.
A motorcyclist not wearing a helmet is 15 percent more likely to suffer a nonfatal injury than one who wears a helmet.
It is estimated that helmets reduce the likelihood of a crash fatality by 37 percent.
In 2007, a total of 7.1 million motorcycles were registered in the U.S.
In 2005, the motorcycle fatality rate was 73 per 100,000 registered motorcycles; meanwhile, the passenger vehicle fatality rate in the same year was 14 per 100,000 registrations.
Motorcycle use is growing disproportionately to fatality growth. For instance, in 1997 there were 3,826,373 motorcycles registered in the U.S. and 2,116 motorcycle fatalities. In 2005, there were 6,227,146 motorcycles registered in the U.S. and 4,810 motorcycle fatalities. So, between 1997 and 2005, registrations grew 63 percent while fatalities more than doubled.

http://www.motorcycleaccident.org/mo...ssible-causes/