Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Isle of man TT.
Thread: Isle of man TT.
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 03:05 PM   #18
Supernaut
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85958
What I Drive: '99 Kawasaki Ninja EX500

FF Reputation: 1 Supernaut Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmatician View Post
If you're looking for another great motorcycle film, check out "long way around" starring Ewan McGregor, aka Obi Wan Kenobi. He goes all the way around the world on a BMW gs. Pretty cool. He also has one called long way down, in which he goes all the way down the European and African continents. Also, pretty cool.
I've read those books and seen the shows as well. They were pretty damn good. But it was later on when I read about people who did similar trips solo without modern technology or reliability that Ewan and Carlie's trips seemed much less impressive with their following support crew, satellite phones, etc.

"Jupiters Travels" by Ted Simon. The story takes place back in the early 70's. An Englishman makes a 4 year round world trip on a Triumph Tiger 500. With British reliability of the day the engine was good for an expected 10,000 miles before a rebuild. That was a truly solo journey in an age with no modern communications, no one to call for help when things go wrong, etc. Keep in mind to that 3rd world areas were even less developed than they are now at that time.

Ted Simon later did the trip again as an old man in is 70's on a BMW bike and wrote another book about it.