Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Post your mod pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #645
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiStick View Post

It's a very nice hatch. Shifter and clutch feel is much better then my Ti. Only about 3 mpg less on average as well.
That must be nice. I haven't driven one, so I haven't done too much research into gearing and what not. The shifter on the Focus felt perhaps a touch notchier than on my old Prizm (nee Corolla), but the gear ratios were essentially identical minus the larger rolling radius slightly moving the final drive taller on the Focus. The clutch felt much the same however. It might just be my memory however, as I only drove one manual normally aspirated Focus a while ago and the shifter was in a slightly more awkward position relative to my seated position for the clutch and the wheel afaik, but given time it would have become normal.

I did drive the ST a few more times though on different occasions, and apart from getting used to the 6 speed's gear placement to avoid going up or down to the wrong gear my only real concern was the light yet stiff clutch pedal that was more sort of an on/off switch when it engaged. I was able to smoothly microslip the car into gear to get it to pull away smoothly with practice, but changes between gears is a bit trickier sometimes. The turbo was very nice though.