Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 05' 2.3 ST with a few problems. Need guidance on where to begin...
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
bloostd
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 59310
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus ST Black

FF Reputation: 1 bloostd Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverST05 View Post
First problem sounds like the headlight switch needs replaced.

The E brake thing, I have no idea never tore apart an enrage handle, my guess is you would have to replace the entire handle assembly.

Problem 3 sounds exactly like a blower motor resister. I've sold plenty of these working at O'Reilly Auto parts. The resister has different wires with different resistance to produce the different speeds. But one, usually the high, has no resistance so when the part goes bad the one speed still works.

As far as maintenance, I would say spark plugs. I just put in Autolite XP Iridiums and have had good luck with them in my 05 ST. I would say maybe a fuel filter. Other than that making sure tires stay inflated properly.

Good luck
Brian
Thanks Brian,

Before I moved out to D.C. I changed the fuel filter at around 68k miles. Thing was completely pluggged. Sometimes I still get hard starts every now and then when I need to give it some gas. I've replaced the battery too.

Yes, time to look into some new times, this car sat salvaged for about 3 years. It was pretty nasty when I got it, but at the price. It was a steal, and it looks like a well taken care of 05' st. haha.
So you think the headlight switch is just the switch? not a ground? Errr. You're right. If it was a ground it wouldn't show me lights at all on cluster =D. Derp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
^^ I second that.

Adding that you should carefully inspect the coil boots- the rubber part that connects to the spark plug. Mine were bad around that time. The boot simply pulls off the coil- although it's easier if fold the plug end back past the coil first to break it loose. Look for cracks or other signs of obvious rubber failure. Boots cost about $5-8 each, and come with the spring and magnet inside. If you see any oil on the boots, then you need a valve cover gasket. Always install spark plugs with a dab of silver anti-seize on the threads.
Excellent!

Thanks for the tips. Motorcraft plugs and coils?

Next weekend I'll be doing all this stuff.

Where would you go for an Ebrake handle? and the HVAC switch/ headlight switch?

Thanks again

Bret
2004 EAP SVT Focus- sold
2003 DSG Cobra 2.3 Whipple Vert - Sold