Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Oil Drain Plug too tight
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Here's what I do when faced with a tough bolt.

1) use a 6 point socket on either a ratchet I don't mind destroying or a breaker bar. The handle of the breaker bar or ratchet must be round for the next part to work.

2) Grab a box end wrench that doesn't have a ratchet action on the 12 pt end. It must be large enough to slip over the handle of the ratchet. Now slide it over the handle to use it for leverage. This technique helps in tight places where a simple pipe over the handle won't fit. The only thing you need to remember is to focus your force directly in line with the handle otherwise the wrench will rotate. Slowly apply more force until you loosen the bolt. It is a good idea to use your other hand to hold the socket securely over the bolt. Any side deflection of the socket could round off the edges of the bolt and cause you really big problems. If the bolt head already feels loose- a 1/2" SAE 6 pt will fit over a 13 mm head with some force. It's much tighter.

3) Remember- Leftie= Loosie, Righty= Tighty when facing the nut or bolt on right hand threads- which the oil pan bolt is right hand threads.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.