Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - SYNC Update Available on Focus!!!
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #462
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

Points 3,276, Level 35
Points: 3,276, Level: 35 Points: 3,276, Level: 35 Points: 3,276, Level: 35
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF4 View Post
I'm not surprised some would so easily agree with a "the grass is always greener argument", it doesn't take much thought or effort to agree with a false premise, plus its so much easier and more fun to whine and play the helpless victim.

out in the real world however, there is something called iDrive which Consumer Reports rates as unreliable, but that would ruin the "grass is always greener argument" so lets just pretend it doesn't exist

speaking of CR, here's an interesting quote from Consumer Reports: "So, the MyFord/MyLincoln Touch system might be intuitive in that it's better organized than some competitive systems, like BMW's iDrive."

Since the grass is always greener elsewhere, I wont bring up the 'my new iPhone doesn't fit in my $60,000 2013 BMW anymore' issue or the 'my Lightning adapter took away my iPod out funcionality in my 1 week old BMW.'

02-23-2012, 10:34 PM
Need help, we are having a very strange problem with our I-drive. (controller) when you start the vehicle the I-drive will not respond, after driving about 15 miles it works, as if nothing was ever wrong. It was doing it before we replaced the battery, it stopped doing it after they put in the new battery, until it had sat for a few days. Now the problem is back. When you push the center button on the I-drive no response for the first 15 miles. Any suggestions??

On 2 occasions, when I have started the car, the I drive/computor screen has just not come on. The car runs otherwise fine. The seller told me that when this happens, get out of the car, lock it and leave for 5 minutes. This seems to work. He said it was some kind of `boot up` problem with the computor and is not uncommon. Is there a quick fix for this?

I find myself continuously frustrated with my experience using the iDrive. My view of the system has not changed since my original post......
Good quotes and BMW's iDrive was never a system I would have called "better" than MFT. Maybe just moving sideways from one unreliable system to another.

I will say though that the iPhone not fitting and the lightning adapter removing the iPod Out functionality when using an adapter really are irrelevant to the price you pay for your vehicle. BMW rather than include USB ports decided to use a proprietary cord. A Focus costing a little over 1/3rd the price of that car has two USB ports, so it's more ubiquitous in that regard. I guess my point is I don't see the complaint about the iPhone not fitting/adapter not retaining all previous functionality as a valid complaint against Apple or the iPhone since auto manufacturers need only add USB ports rather than proprietary cabling, hell even Kia has a USB port. They've used the same connector for almost 10 years, a much better track record than any other phone/mobile manufacturer who have switched proprietary charge ports on several devices until relatively recently with micro USB being the norm now.
Regardless of all that, I've given up on defending MFT in any way except to say that the new update, while breaking climate controls, is at the very least responding much faster for me and hasn't had any hiccups as far as poking at the screen quickly switching between inputs/channels is concerned. I've done some playing around on it quickly moving between Sirius presets and inputs and thus far the system has been much better about that than it was before.

Still patiently awaiting our long ago promised fix however.
Sonic Crew #28