Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - The Competition
Thread: The Competition
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #33
ralck
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96372
What I Drive: My sister's car while it is salty

FF Reputation: 1 ralck Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Theoretically it can be done, but its not necessarily a great idea as not only is it a temporary duty tire, the largest compact spare is still only about 4-4.5" wide vs the 7-8"+ of the standard 18" wheels (iirc they are 18"x8") so the load rating for the temporary spare might cause an issue (perhaps not, but its best to err on the side of caution). I definitely wouldn't recommend it on the driven axle especially as that could also cause uneven wear on the axles and cv joints for the duration that they are installed as the height and weight are so far from that of the normal wheel and tire combination. Although to be fair I wouldn't recommend that on even the regular Focus with its 15-18" wheels for the same reasons.

It would be better than removing the spare wheel all together and only having an inflator or a can of tire sealing compound that will be useless if the side wall is gone or if there is a large enough hole in the tire. Nevermind the fact that it is allegedly a pain in the neck to clean that garbage out of the wheel, and it may even damage the TPMS sensor, but that I don't know.
Okay... sounds like it's too risky to do (at least for me). I suppose I don't really need fold-flat seats all the time, and the few times I do I can figure a work-around out.

Also, for everyone interested, the 2013 Mazda3 is up on their website. Now that I see their configurations, it's looking more and more like a new Focus because:
  • They dropped Sky Blue (equivalent to Blue Candy) so I can't get the color I really want
  • The iGrand Touring with manual forces the tech package. It's not a bad set of options, but that puts the price at 25.5 and with the options I'd want and re-doing my roof rack, I'm looking at ~26k.

So the Mazda MSRP with additions is 2k more than the SE with 201A and 4.5K above the SE without 201A. With the Focus $2000 rebate and the Ford dealership offering invoice, it's just too much money to put into upgrades, student loans, etc, etc. I'm estimating I can get a Focus for about 4 grand cheaper than an equivalently equipped Mazda3. And if I skip 201A it's about 6 grand.
Even the base ST with moonroof (the configuration I would get) is cheaper MSRP compared to the Mazda3 (without my "extras")!