Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Anyone upgraded their Sony 10-speaker stereo?
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #32
Linchpin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103384
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Linchpin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I used to be a rock drummer. I have also produced recordings. So I have some hearing loss. Still, I like my sound at concert level and I am more than satisfied with the Sony system in my Ti. Several posters have said they want more volume. "What?" What happens is that when you reach a certain Db threshold your auditory system tries to attenuate the 'noise' to protect your hearing and brain. This is why what initially is perceived as LOUD seems to get quieter after a period of time, sometimes only a few minutes. Another factor is the production quality of recordings. A recording that is well engineered and produced will have lots of presence and punch. You can boost this with the compressor built into the audio processor. As someone pointed, out using the EQ and boost in your iPhone can also have a big impact. There is an app for the iPhone called the Bongiovi DPS that can really tweak sound. Ford can really improve the audio if they were to add a better EQ to the system or, better still, audio processing software. The EQ they have can is OK if one knows how to use it. The problem is that a lot of recordings are poorly produced. So before you slag the Sony or any audio system try it with a well produced recording. Want to find out how loud your audio system really is? Leave your volume way up when you shut your engine off. Then start your Focus a few hours later. You will blow your eardrums. And if you want to beat your buddies to stone deafness keep cranking the volume.