Old 09-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
ThaKillerKlown
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 73791
What I Drive: '11 SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 ThaKillerKlown Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Help - 08 Transmission Fluid Mistake

I have an 08 Focus w/an Automatic transmission. Its leaked a drop or two since it was new, @ 20k miles, they pulled the transmission and went through it, 55k miles later, it still drips. I recently started a new job that requires a 150 mile round trip commute so I checked my fluids, noticed it was low (fluid was right at the bottom hole, right below the crisscross patter on the dip stick) so I thought I'd pick up a quart of Mercon LV and fill it up.

My wife and I were discussing the days events after work today and I pulled the transmission dip stick and without though poured the whole quart in. I had assumed, like most cars, when the "oil" dip stick reads that low, you add a quart. Well, upon rechecking the transmision fluid level I fear I have overfilled it.

So, I have two questions, 1.) How low is the transmission fluid when its just below the crisscross pattern? and 2.) What is the simplest way to drain some of the fluid back out?

I appreciate any and all help you can give me. I don't wanna risk driving it and tearing something up!